Friday, January 22, 2010

A Meal They Will Eat



I think Sharina is to credit for linking me to this website. Tiffany is the gal that writes the blog http://www.eatathomecooks.com/. She creates a meal and shopping list each week and posts all the recipes with pictures. She's a pretty good cook and I have enjoyed the inspiration. Lately, we seem to do more crying at the table than eating. Well, Katie cries. Caroline just sits there and Andrew walks away. It's fun, dinner at our house. If we are not eating Mexican, then it's a disaster night after night. I'm getting a little sick of the drama so I determined to revamp the meal list to only things my children will eat. There went the Shrimp Tikka Masala... I'm saving the good stuff for Scott and I on the nights I have energy (or stupidity) enough to make 2 meals.
Tiffany has quite a few very simple meals with very few ingredients. I'd rather destroy the kitchen with an Emeril-inspired masterpiece, but my kids like hot dogs. Every time I serve food Andrew asks if it is hot dogs. We tell him yes. And that stuff next to it is refried beans. Suddenly, he's happy.
When I saw this recipe I figured I'd better try it out. Scott's gone tonight so I made it for the real critics. I told Andrew the bacon was hot dogs (explaining that they both come from the pig, so he bought it) and just put it in front of them hoping for the best. Andrew at 4 bowls. CareBear asked for seconds and even Katie, onced convinced it was bacon, ate her dinner. Jac destroyed 2 bowls of it herself. (Not to leave her out, but Alex is a god-send and asks for things like Shrimp Tikka Masala. 100% my child.)
The only change I made was using a can of evaporated milk instead of half and half...I forget that stuff has an expiration date on the bottom of the can. I've got a lot of it stored that needs to be used NOW. And I substituted dried basil for fresh. Oh, how I long for summer and fresh basil.
So, let me recommend to all who love to eat, this recipe from Tiffany. Good whether you have kids to feed or not.
Tiffany's photo...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, you DO have a normal set of kids! Send em to Auntie Sarah's house...except Alex....she won't fit in here either! :o) I told the kids one day that Tilapia was chicken...they loved em!!!