Saturday, July 18, 2009

Summer Vacation 2009

We have just returned from our official 2009 Summer Vacation and are ready to report. What a great trip - if you subtract the crying, whining, and screaming of travelling with five small children. I remember being really hacked off a couple of times, but I'm letting it go and remembering only the good stuff. And since we don't have our own reality show on television, the good stuff is all you will hear about (insert smiley face here), so....here it is!
Day 1 - the kids and I left home about 2.5 hours late on Tuesday. We'd hoped to stop at the library for a magic show before starting our trip, but getting there was a little optimistic on my part. I should have never voiced the idea. Sure to disappoint. But we did meet Scott on time at the church parking lot where he parked his car and we left Michigan for Rochester, NY.
We picked the perfect destination - Western New York State. It was only a 6 hour drive and, much to Scott's amazement, we made it through the Canadian border in only minutes. He was nervous that it would take a long time as he has had that experience. Grandma and Papa were waiting for us at the hotel in Rochester (yeah Holiday Inn) and had the beds turned down for our arrival. Such service. We used headphones in the car on this trip so Scott and I wouldn't have to suffer through six solid hours of cartoon characters and peace would abide in the car. It worked. Not entirely, but it worked.
Day 2 - Up and out by noon. It take so long to do things with tired people. But really, it's a vacation so no rush. We were in Palmyra at the Hill Cummorah Visitor's Center for an early afternoon tour and viewing of The Restoration. It's been a long time since I've seen it and I really enjoyed Andrew climbing all over the seats while I watched. After the Visitor's Center we picnicked on the grounds and sat in trees...










Next we went to the Joseph Smith, Sr. farm which was interesting. Always nice to see where good old fashioned American families of 11 lived in a home the size of our Japanese place. And they had to stoke the fire all day so they could eat. So glad I wasn't born in 1805. It really gives life to their sacrifice to see where they lived and the best part was the Sacred Grove where God the Father and Jesus Christ both appeared to Joseph Smith. It's a beautiful, peaceful grove of trees with paths leading all throughout and it's just a wonderful experience to walk through it, imagining where that incredible vision occurred...this spot, or that one? It doesn't matter. I know it happened. It's not a story. It is a factual event.
This first photo wins the prize for my favorite Sacred Grove pic.
Jac and her Mama near the entrance to the GroveThe Big Girls after a walk through the Sacred GroveJac gives kisses while CareBear hugs her daddy

After our walk through the Grove we went to see the Grandin Printing Press where the first 5000 copies of the Book of Mormon were printed. Maybe it's my background in journalism, but I really like printing places. I got only 2/3 of the way through the tour when Andrew and Jac just couldn't take it anymore. Or was that me? I took them back downstairs to wait and then across the street to buy official summer vacation t-shirts.

Next was dinner on the lawn at the Hill Cummorah Pageant. The Palmyra Lion's Club sells concessions at the Pageant, which we thought was really cool. The Church puts on this free outdoor pageant for about 1000 people every night for 7 nights and make not a dime. They invite the local group to do it and the Lion's Club brings in their entire annual budget in that one week of work. The girl who tallied up our order said, "Wow, you set the record. This is my biggest order all night!" She didn't know we had to go back for one more hot dog and hamburger. We're happy to contribute to the Lion's but next time, we'll be taking our own food. For $80 I'd like a bit better value in the meal.

Before the show the cast roams around talking to the crowd. The nicest people, honestly. These two young girls approached the twins and I while we were crossing the lawn. My mom found John the Baptist and his real-life family who all appeared to be Nephites. They were excited to take the picture with us and I was so thankful for the pictorial memory!I felt like I was taking a lot of pageant photos, but it turns out I only took a few. Just as well. A pageant is so over-blown because a huge number of people are watching out of doors and everything is over-dramatized in choreography so the story flows and makes sense. When you see the show as a whole it is quite impressive; individual pictures look a little goofy. This show was really impressive. I was so surprised when Nephi's ship arose in the middle of the dancing. Here's what I mean by individuals looking goofy. But hey, this is wicked King Noah and if anyone was goofy, it was this guy. The narration was very well done; it walked the audience right through the Book of Mormon highlights. I thought for an hour show they covered it very well. The pyrotechnics were very cool and totally unexpected by me. The girls said the water was their favorite part. We were just eight rows back and could feel the spray on our faces as Laman and Lemuel tied up Nephi and the storm raged on the sea. It was terrific.

The show ended some time around 10:30 and we got out rather quickly. Back to the Holiday Inn and in bed by midnight. Not too shabby.

I will say a word to the protesters: If you disagree with someone (or the 1000 someones who have come to see the pageant) you don't have to yell at them. We walked onto the pageant grounds and passed by the really angry protesters. I've never seen someone so pathetic in all my life. He yelled directly in my face, "You are evil and you are going to hell!" All I could say is, "Dude, I'm way ahead of you on that one. You don't even need to tell me." I don't care what you believe, none of us really thinks that we have it made. I try every single day to overcome my own shortcomings. It ain't easy being me. I'm guessing that most people with a conscience feel something similar. I know that Jesus Christ is my savior and I know what he did for me. I also know that it is through his sacrifice that I am saved when and only when I repent. It's an every day thing for me and I'm not all that good at it. "Lord, I believe. Help thou mine unbelief."

And about the psychology of yelling. No one on earth has ever changed their behavior because they were yelled at. Not me, not my kids, no one. Stop the yelling. And let it go. Really. What does it hurt if I believe something that you do not. Nothing. And trust me, anyone who yells at me that I am evil and am going to hell is not really worried about my eternal salvation.

And a word to the pageant volunteers who are tasked with standing next to the protesters the entire evening so that we, the attendees, are safe and know where to go: You are angels sent from God. I have never seen such a peaceful expression and calm composure as I saw on the face of the security attendant. I may never forget that man. I wish I had his nerves of steel. Thank you, security man. You are an example of real Christianity.

Stay tuned...Day 2 is coming soon!

1 comment:

John IV said...

I want a big copy of that grove picture for my background at work! Heck, I want big pictures of all of these! Especially the one of John the Baptist and everyone. :) Sounds like a great time!