After getting the cherries from Kim, I told my husband that I really wanted to get more. At Miller's they are only .99/lb and they have free pitting right there at the farm. The cherries are washed, stemmed, pitted and ready to preserve when you get home with them! (and no hulling like those pesky strawberries.) I mentioned that I was thinking of going on Friday when he was home for the holiday; he said "fine." Friday morning came and I figured, what the heck - I'll ask him to go to save him from the little people. Four hours later he arrived with 39 lbs of beautiful cherries and only one comment, "I just love these little adventures..." I am so thankful! I bottled 14 quarts and froze another five quarts. I saved one fresh quart for the little people who are quite Japanese and love fresh cherries! They'll be so excited that the pits are missing.
While that handsome, strapping man was picking cherries I decided we needed fresh bread to go with all this goodness. Another amazing friend, Sarah, sent me a new 100% whole wheat recipe this week. Sarah is the patron saint of homemade bread. She makes perfect bread. Absolutely perfect. (She also makes killer hummus, but that's another discussion.) She was so excited about how easy and wonderful this bread is that she called to tell me about it. So, I gave it a shot. I am not a great bread maker, especially whole wheat bread, but today I rocked! This recipe is so easy - not that I didn't have my problems. It turned out to be fantastic! It is so moist, so tasty and so easy to do. You have to try it. If you are interested in the recipe I'll send it to you. It's also very cool that at the end of the recipe, the author tallied up the ingredients you would need to have on hand for a one year supply of the bread, which was only one loaf a day. I'm pretty sure our little Andrew could put that away before 10 AM. It totally put food storage requirements in perspective for me. We all need MORE!

2 comments:
I am so jealous!!! I love cherries (and fish, and all sorts of other weird things I wouldn't eat as a child, but I still say no to ribs. Yuck!) and they are soooo expensive here. Cheap is $2.99 a lb!!! I was clawing at the screen as I read!
So glad you like the bread. I think I might make more today! Thanks for coming by today. It was fun to see you and the kiddos. Call me when you get back in town.
Post a Comment