We have great neighbors. They are all so friendly. A week ago I finally took a treat and our introduction cards to 8 nearby families . Yes, I was a month late. Gomennasai. I made brownies from a box - thank you Costco Osaka. Gave every home a few small pieces because the Japanese, generally speaking, cannot handle American levels of sugar. The little grandma (obachan) across the street passed by as I was hanging laundry a few days later and thanked me for them. She told me how much the young'uns in the family liked them (3 generations, 1 house). She asked me if I made them and I got the box to show her. She talks and talks to me and I don't understand hardly anything she says...and she just keeps talking. She is the best!
Alex was listening to me try to communicate and when I shut the door she made fun of me holding the brownie box and saying, "Boxu" with a Japanese accent. You have to understand that Alex takes her Japanese very seriously. She constantly looks for opportunities to use the words she knows. She knows a lot. She creates conversations so she can speak Japanese. It's basic stuff, but she just turned 5. She's a sponge. I told her, "I'm sorry. I don't know what to say to that sweet lady. I don't know how to speak Japanese."
Alex said, "Well, who do you think I learned to speak Japanese from?"
I will live a month on that compliment!
No comments:
Post a Comment