Thursday, April 9, 2009

Life Schooling

So, I home school our children. We began a little early; technically our eldest would be finishing up kindergarten on a regular public school schedule. We've been at it since October and she's reading and writing whatever she wants. She's really something. (Aren't they all?)

We have three and then the tag-a-long-when-Dora-is-in-commercial-break boy. He adores school, but he is obsessed with that little Latina on TV. (At the present time, we have a strategic nap in place for the baby girl during "school.") Anyway. I love home schooling our children. I always dreamed that I would be the class mom and be at school every day with my kids, rotating classrooms - because I would be EVERYONE's room mom. Now, I am. It began with a sincere desire to be their teacher and not have anyone else indoctrinating our family. The desire grew with every horrible story I read in the news about an incident at a school, public or private. It grows even stronger when I learn of experiences my friends and family have in their respective schools. Don't get me wrong - I'm a public school graduate and an incredible person. I turned out great! Myhusband, even more so. But I feel like our time as a family is better spent learning together than in chasing/waiting for school buses, correcting incorrect/immoral teachings, and endless hours of inappropriately placed homework. And I love it even more because I feel like every waking moment is a teaching opportunity with our children. And I love my children!

A few weeks ago we planted our early garden seeds. Gardening is a huge part of pre-school in Japan. Last year our eldest did sweet potatoes and the twins grew sun flowers. It was amazing to watch their minds work and understand as they watched the seeds grow. They've loved taking care of their garden. Here's a peek at our planters...




And here are the sprouts (who are actively praying for the end of Winter in Michigan. April 6th blizzard, indeed!). We really hope we get to plant them outside before they bear fruit. 72 roma tomato plants could really take over a living room. Warm Sunny Wishes to you and your garden too!



4 comments:

Kelly said...

We love homeschooling too! Sounds like you're having lots of fun!

Leviticus said...

Wow! Your sprouts look great. They look just about ready to go transplant themselves.

I was just as annoyed to see snow in ATLANTA on April 7th... or whatever day it was this week.

Hugs and kisses.

Unknown said...

So cute...I can see the Boy pulling those right off your table and onto the living room floor ;) Here's hoping he doesn't!

Landlocked Shores said...

I love playing in dirt... what fun school!