Monday, July 7, 2008

Costco Japan

This is one of the best things about living overseas today. One can experience the culture of a new land...and still get a big box of Quaker Oatmeal when you need it. Costco has a store in Osaka and Scott made the trip for us on Saturday. We all wanted to go, but if you take all the people there's no place to put all the food. Japan has this wonderfully innovative thing called cheap domestic shipping. It's about 600yen per huge box to ship the stuff from Costco to your door, even cold or frozen. But to save on shipping - and get the grapes to us faster - we kids stayed home and let Dad fill the van with the goodies. And I'm writing this post to tell you about the grapes in particular. I need someone to tell me what you are paying at home for the 4lb box of grapes in the warehouse stores. I think we set a record. 17 Bucks. Scott called me and said, "Is this a good deal?" I choked. NO! It's not a deal at all. So he put back something else and bought the grapes. It all evens out. Sunday when I was munching on them I said how incredible they tasted and they were totally worth the 17. Scott said, "Oh, maybe $14, but not quite 17."

2 comments:

John IV said...

Jamiee bought a big box of grapes from Sam's a week or so ago and paid something like $5. They were good too. If I was in Asia (where grapes don't grow so well and have to be imported) I might've paid $15 for them.

Anne said...

Ah, $5. Thank you John & Jamiee! See, I knew we were insane. John will only pay fifteen for them. 17 indeed!